Monday, October 21, 2013

22nd October 2013: In sickness and health.

I am sick in bed, so thought now might be the perfect time for a new blog post!

Over the last couple of months, I seem to have been almost constantly unwell… Infection after cold after infection, on and off antibiotics and God know what else: the Korean doctors do love prescribing a medley of brightly-coloured pills at the first sign of illness…

I have been slightly frustrated by my experiences over this time. Firstly, departments within the hospital do not seem to communicate… My first visit to the ‘Family Medicine/ Infectious Diseases’ department resulted in my first ever batch of pills Korean-style:

These seemed to do the trick, but the doctor didn’t have any knowledge of my diabetes or diabetes in general, especially the propensity for diabetics to get this kind of infection and the fact that it could be indicative of more serious complications.

The symptoms subsided and I went on as usual, only to be knocked sideways by the same thing a couple of weeks later. Annoyingly this time on a weekend when most departments at the hospital are closed. I was advised to go to the clinic in Home Plus, a new find and one that only served to remind me that you can literally get or do ANYTHING in Korean supermarkets! Again the doctor prescribed a batch of brightly coloured pills. Again, I mentioned my diabetes and was poo-pooed.

Finally, this week my body seemed to have had enough. The symptoms of the infection reared their head again but this time the lymph nodes in the right of my neck reacted by swelling up to 4 times their usual size and throbbing like mad. The pain has spread through my neck, jaw and into the right side of my mouth. Two more doctors apoointments in 3 days have resulted in yet more antibiotics, painkillers and antacids, but no real answer to the problem.

I am worried that there is something more sinister going on, even though I hope beyond all hopes that I just have too much time to think! You see, while I know rationally that I am not old, I feel ‘old’ in terms of my diabetic life. I have had diabetes for more of my life  than I haven’t; 18 years, 7 months, 22 days and 1 hour in total.

JDRF UK, say that one form of diabetic complication, retinopathy, usually occurs after around 20 years of having diabetes. Diabetes UK separates the range of complications into two brackets: long-term and short-term. I can only assume I am getting close to the long-term bracket.

I have never felt this rundown in my life, or been so sick so often in such a short amount of time. It worries me that my body is suffering and my immune system is not what it should be.

However, looking on the positive side of things, next Monday is P-Day… A week yesterday I will be admitted to hospital to get my insulin pump… One super-positive thing that I hope will help to get me back on an upward spiral. For one, a week in hospital right now cannot be a bad thing! Secondly, I will undergo tests for diabetic complications: an event I am not looking forward to at all, but which will at least give me answers. Finally, I will spend time working on the titration of my doses.

 I have been spending some time over the last few days exploring my options with Lisa from IGS as I have received my pump possibilities from my diabetes doctor at Paik:
1.    Medtronic Paradigm insulin pump (712 pump)
2.    Medtronic Paradigm Realtime insulin pump (722 pump/ 522 pump)
3.    Medtronic Paradigm Realtime insulin pump (722 pump/ 522 pump)
with wireless transmitter


At the moment I am none the wiser, but I am going to spend the rest of today sleeping and reading this page and its offshoots on the Integrated Diabetes Services website in preparation for my Skype appointment with Lisa tomorrow morning…

No comments:

Post a Comment